What is the difference between TLL Core and activation server?
Activation server extends TLL Core functionality and gives you more control over licensing of your apps.
Feel free to check feature comparsion to get better overview.
What is the purpose of TLL
TLL was designed to protect your application’s licensing. It can
- Generate safe license keys
- Be used to validate licenses provided by user with few lines of code
- Save information about licensing options easily and safely
- Hardware locking
- Features enabled
- Custom information
- Be used to build your own online activation server
- Automatically track your application usage and detect piracy with TLL Insights
- Much more…
What my customer needs to do in order to install a license after I send my software to him?
With TLL you can send license file or license string (text) to customer, generated by toolbox or the library itself. Customer will need to select file through some dialog (OpenFileDialog) or copy and paste license string. You can choose the preferred way.
This process can be optionally automatized using activation server.
What types of projects can use the library?
Who can use this product?
This library can be used by any software developer, who builds applications in one of the .NET languages (C#, VB, F#). All examples are available in C# and VB.
However, non-programmer can generate licenses via LibraryToolbox.exe easily. This means, that Treek’s Licensing Library can be used by licensing operator or your secretary for routine work.
Why should I trust TLL
We’re developing Treek’s Licensing Library for more than 5 years, company behind it exists almost 10 years. Due to still uncracked license generation algorithm, strong encryption and rich set of other techniques to keep your software distribution under control, our solution is trusted by wide range of clients.
How to add Treek’s Licensing Library to my project?
In Visual Studio, double click “My Project” to open project properties. On the left side, click “References” tab. Click on “Add” and browse to TreeksLicensingLibrary.dll or TreeksLicensingLibrary2.dll
You can also use NuGet.org Package Manager Console within Visual Studio:
What technical steps do I have to take to use Treek’s Licensing Library in my software?
There are only few steps needed to setup and they’re well described in documentation.
How to generate license signing key for my application?
There are two ways:
- Use LibraryToolbox.exe
- Open toolbox and click “Generate new” button.
- Choose the location, where will be your keypair stored
- Do it programatically via TreeksLicensingLibrary.LicenseSigningKey object
- Simply create new instance of TreeksLicensingLibrary.LicenseSigningKey
- Use TreeksLicensingLibrary.LicenseSigningKey.SaveFile or TreeksLicensingLibrary.LicenseSigningKey.PublicKeyXML and TreeksLicensingLibrary.LicenseSigningKey.PrivateKeyXML to work with your license signing key.
How to remove demo notification in TLL 2.0
First, you have to purchase license of TLL. When you receive your license, you have two options:
- Use TLL Init Chunk and put your license into it.
- Put your license string into TreeksLicensingLibrary2.DeveloperLicense.DeveloperLicenseContent property.
- To use this “older approach” simply open “About” tab and click “Copy my license button”. Then use copied value in your code to set DeveloperLicenseContent property
In TLL 2.0 we recommend the init chunk. As we typically provide you with license file, the approach should be following:
- Save your developer license file anywhere in your computer.
- Open TLL Toolbox and goto Developer license tab.
- Select “Use license file” and browse for file.
- Click “Apply developer license”.
- Now load (or create) license signing keys of your application.
- Click “Generate init chunk file” .
- Your license will be prefilled in TLL License field.
- You can copy the license string or generate and integrate TLL 2.0 using init chunk.
How to use TLL in non .NET applications?
You can use Treek’s Licensing Library through COM model. To use it, simply register TLL with Toolbox (Register COM tab). Exact usage depends on the development environment you use. Remember, that you have to register TLL on production machines. This can be done via RegAsm.exe (part of .NET framework). You can find the path and correct arguments in Treek’s Licensing Library toolbox, Register COM tab again.
In MS Office VBA projects, you can add reference to TreeksLicensingLibrary.tlb file after COM registration.
Occasionally, I get license expired even if it is valid. Why?
We have observed similar behavior, when “Treat offline as expired” license property is enabled. Sometimes, you won’t receive response from remote server. It can be due to remote server outage or because you have reached its limit of requests per specific time period.
The best solution for that is not to use this feature or use your own timeserver. TLL accepts any standard NTP server you choose.
Even if “Treat offline as expired” is not enabled, TLL tries to retrieve online time first and only if failed, it uses local computer time.
Can I redistribute library without purchasing license?
No, free version is only for evaluation purposes. It will display message every time, when you try to verify license.
When you purchase license, you can use and redistribute TreeksLicensingLibrary.dll within as many applications as you wish.
If I buy sources, what am I (not) allowed to do with them
Generally, you must not disclose the sources you receive to any other 3rd party entity (person or company) without our written consent. This applies to all kind of source code you may receive from us (except publicly available examples).
On top of that, for activation server, following applies:
- If you order in-house license, you can use TLL Activation server sources only for your products
- If you order vendor license, you can use TLL Activation server sources to protect 3rd party products. However, you still must not disclose the sources.
Otherwise, you are free to build your protected apps!
What is the difference between TLL V1 and TLL V2
TLL V1 is older version of Treek’s Licensing Library. We do not release updates for it anymore. We recommend upgrade to TLL V2 as it is free for V1 customers. TLL V2 comes with multiple improvements.